Atonement

Title: Atonement
Rating: 4.5/5
Genre: Drama, Romance
Starring: Keira Knightley, James McAvoy, Saoirse Ronan

"Atonement": N. Amends or reparation made for an injury or wrong; expiation.

I am sure all of us have witnessed certain events that we misinterpreted, but how often does this interpretation leads to ruining lives? The film basically revolves about three characters, "Cecilia" (Knightley) who is the eldest daughter of a rich English family, "Briony" (played when she was 13 by "Ronan") who is "Cecilia's" young sister and an aspiring writer, and "Robbie" (McAvoy) who is the son of a servant, which is being taken care of his university by the family. Some moments of passion between "Cecilia" and "Robbie" are seen by the refined "Briony", for which she understands wrongly. That misunderstanding leads to gloomy repercussions. The world is at the brink of WW2, and we see how the outcome affects these three individuals before, during, and after the war.

Let me begin with the acting. "Knightley" has potential that she doesn't utilize well in her career choices, but I was thoroughly convinced by her here. She didn't appear and act silly as in "The Pirates of The Caribbean" series, but showed a since of grace and class that reminds us of many classics like "Gone with the Wind". "McAvoy" truly personified the character of "Robbie" to us. An aspiring young man from a poor family, who wants to be a doctor, yet by a misunderstanding his whole life is ruined. "Kneightley" and "McAvoy" brought us something that isn't your casual highclass-lowclass love story. The best role in this film goes to "Saoirse Ronan" for her role as the thirteen years old "Briony". Sometimes we understand and know what she means just with a look into her eyes, her mesmerizing blue eyes. Not only that, but also the way she talks makes us wish we had such grandeur. She's almost unreal, an aristocrat that we read about. I expect great things for her in the future. The character of "Briony" wasn't played only by "Ronan", but also by "Romala Garai" when "Briony" is 18, and by "Vanessa Redgrave" when she's 77. I shall address these two as I move on.

Now let me discuss the technical merits of the film. I don't think I exaggerate if I say "Joe Wright" brings us a majestic film. The images he portrayed, from the innocence of childhood, to the passion of lovers, to the effect war brings in an individual emotionally and physically. The movement of the film might bewilder some, but I found it convenient. The way we see the events from a different perspective is better than just people telling their versions of the story. The cinematography is one of the best I ever seen. I will only mention just one shot by the cinematographer "Seamus McGarvey", that continuous shot on the beach of "Dunkirk" is one of the best I seen in my life. Although it's only about 5 minutes long, but the tender movement made it like a ballet in the gutters of horror. That collaboration between the director and the cinematographer is splendid. The score is one of the best and weirdest film scores I heard. Besides the use of a classical orchestra, the use of a typewriter heavily worked out great. The composition of "Dario Marianelli" is stunning. There was basically a piece for every main character that conveyed its feelings perfectly and there were pieces that conveying the theme of what's going on perfectly. The costume design can be summed up with two words, truly marvelous. This is an artistic triumph that not only successfully adapted the novel of "Ian McEwan", but also brought a great film to watch.

As I mentioned, there are two other actresses that play "Briony". "Redgrave" did a respectable job as the 77 years old "Briony". Although we see her only near the end of the film, we believe the toll of what her "actions" have done to her. I didn't like much the choice of "Garai" as 18 years old "Briony". Not only is the actress is older than "Knightley", but also she didn't give the convincing performance of "Ronan". I would have preferred keeping "Ronan". Some might argue it won't turn out right, but after seeing "The Reader", I became more convinced that it's possible. Yes there are some minor historical inaccuracies with the timing some events have happened, but I wasn't bothered much and it didn't irritate me as many other films did.

I'll say again, this is an artistic triumph. To anyone who prefers this kind of film I highly urge him/her to watch this film. It's classy and refined. It didn't take many of drama clichés we see, and certainly brought us a powerful, well sculpted drama. I didn't think I'd enjoy it as much as I did, but I found out how wrong I am. Some might find this mellow, but they need to have a better horizon.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Female Prisoner: Scorpion

Slasher Hunter

Chinese Erotic Ghost Story