Haute Tension (High Tension)

Title: Haute Tension (High Tension)
Rating: 2.5/5
Genre: Horror
Starring: Cécile de France, Maïwenn Le Besco
Language: French

And so I return with another horror film, "High Tension" by director and co-writer "Alexandre Aja". The plot is basically like a casual slasher film, "Marie" (France) spends a weekend at the house of her college friend "Alex" (Le Besco), and then a homicidal maniac who roams around the neighborhood attacks the family at night and starts carnage. I enjoyed the representation of the plot rather than the plot itself. "Aja" is a good director, he did alright with this horror flick, but as a writer, many physicists would like to have a word with him. The reason for that can be known by watching the film, and paying attention to what is happening.

"Aja" as a director I enjoyed his film. At more than one point he did a representation, along with the actress, of the character's emotion of fear, rather than just a mindless bloodshed film. For instance, at one seen we see a focus shot on Marie's face as she hides in her room, hearing all the screams of the other family members, leading us to imagine what kinds of horrors done to the other family members. Though I admit there were some scenes that really had no use in the film, like watching "Marie" masturbate. The killings were well directed, I didn't see them as the ultimate showcase of human brutality, nor were they mellow. Any fan of slasher films will enjoy them. I liked how the soundtrack was used, especially the song "New Born" by "Muse" to create an atmosphere of serenity and tension.

After we discover the main revelation and plot twist, we discover the film has defied the laws of physics! It's not a sci-fi film or a fantasy film, but it was a horror, what was done still bewilders me. If the writers paid attention to these, the whole film would have been much greater. The writers tried to make something that will "end" all slasher films, but what they made severely lowered its ranking. Let me say an example from outside the film that will let you understand, without spoiling it. I am at the mall and I met some friends and hung around with, at exactly the same time I am at home having a video chat with a friend over the internet. I have no twin and the people I talked to are sane, it's physically impossible for this to happen! But many things similar to this did happen. I honestly don't know what was going in the minds of the makers.

To those who prefer to watch an entertaining film with a bung of friends, without thinking about even if for a bit, they will surly enjoy "High Tension". The film was nasty and bloody, fans of slashers will surly enjoy this. I did enjoy it in general. It's a good French horror films, but I won't compare to "Martyrs" or "Inside". With this, I end my modern horror run.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Female Prisoner: Scorpion

Slasher Hunter

Chinese Erotic Ghost Story