Henry V

Title: Henry V
Rating: 4.5/5
Genre: Historical Drama
Starring: Kenneth Branagh

Where to begin? This is without a doubt one of the finest "Shakespeare" adaptations ever to be filmed! To those who are following these adaptations, I am sure they are familiar with that made by "Laurence Olivier". I shall try not to focus on a comparison between these two, since I haven't yet seen the first. "Kenneth", who directed and starred, brought us a really great and emotions-filled adaptation of a play about "Henry V of England", and the events before and after the "Battle of Agincourt", remaining loyal to the play and bringing us realistic representation of the events that took place.

Let me begin with something essential in any Shakespearean adaptation, the representation. "Branagh", who was still a beginner with directing, gave a truly stunning portrayal, whether as a director or as an actor. To begin with, I think the language used is more appropriate to those familiar with "Shakespeare". It was delivered in an emotional style, which I think suited it more, rather than in a clearer form that would be directed to every audience. The soliloquies done in this film are truly beautiful. With a limited budget, $9 million, we might expect some falling outs, but on the contrary, "Branagh" utilized it so well that we mingle smoothly with the film's charms. This is something films like "Alexander" failed to do. For instance, the "Battle of Agincourt" is one of the finest battle scenes I saw, combining emotions with the brutality of war. As I said, this is a more realistic approach; the Oliver film had a more patriotic agenda during WW2 to encourage the troops. Regardless, any patriot would thoroughly enjoy this one. I liked how the Chorus, played by "Derek Jacobi", was used especially in the introduction with urging us to "let us, ciphers to this great accompt, on your imaginary forces work." I honestly don't how to analyze more this spectacular work.

As much as I enjoyed the direction, I have to admit that "Branagh" the actor is greater than "Branagh" the director. Two soliloquies alone are enough to force us to admire such a talent, the one before the battle and the one after checking up on the soldiers during the night. With the great music, composed by "Patrick Doyle", I truly wished they were unending! I am sure that "Kenneth" was "Henry" during this film. Powerful at times, passionate at times, even mad at times is what I saw. Besides the role of "Henry", I truly enjoyed how many of the smaller roles and characters were presented, especially the role of "Mistress Quickly" played "Judi Dench", such a delicate performance it was. I rank this role of "Henry V" as one the finest Shakespeare roles I saw. I think that if "Shakespeare" saw this film he'd applaud the cast, and especially the mastermind of this film, Kenneth Branagh.

I am truly agitated that I didn't give this film a perfect, but I had to. There are some minor flaws that I think were made because "Barnagh" was still a beginner at that time, some stalling at certain parts that I wished they were quickened a bit. Still, this didn't obstruct me from enjoying this remarkable film.

This film is highly recommended to readers of "Shakespeare" to be specific, and to anyone who's into great historical dramas. I shall watch it again and again, with every time being as if it is my first time. I won't be reluctant to call it one of the best films I saw. It is not complete perfection, yet it is that close.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Female Prisoner: Scorpion

Slasher Hunter

Chinese Erotic Ghost Story